Sunday, March 26, 2006

Does anyone have a time machine?





This is what our house looked like back in the 1940's. For those of you that are familiar with any of Stickley's house designs, ours is house #8 from the 1905 series. I've included the photo from the original Craftsman magazine design plans.

Sadly, the house has taken on a few unsightly changes since then. And by unsightly I mean ugly. And by changes, I mean green aluminum siding.

However, I am happy to report that there haven't been any structural alterations. There are no crazy additions, no massive floorplan redesigns, and no waterslide from the attic down into the basement. I'm actually pretty broken up about the latter.

Luckily, all of the original wood siding is still intact beneath. The first level of the house is sided with a rough cut spruce siding that is about 6 inches wide and about an inch thick. This was then stained a deep brown. The second level was sided in cedar shakes and was stained a mossy green. The windows are painted white in this photo, although we don't think that was the original color. We have an older B&W photo of the back of the house that seems to show the windows as a dark color rather than white. We haven't investigated further, but I'm sure we will find out eventually.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh, I'm waiting for the next post. I hope it has a picture of the "beautiful" state it was in when you bought it. ;)

Jocelyn said...

Is your home really a Stickley bungalow? I assume it is. If so, I look forward to seeing more photos. Hopefully they didn't rip out the details inside. At least they covered it and it's still there.

StuccoHouse said...

Oh, you are on a slippery slope, because you know if you have a Stickley house....you need to start looking for Stickley furniture to go in that house ;-)

Brian said...

Oh yes,it's really a Stickley. Some folks from the Stickley museum have already been out to photograph it. I'll go into how we know in a future post.

We thought about furnishing the house in all Stickley furniture, but then we looked at our bank account. After the crying subsided, we decided that maybe that wasn't the best idea.