Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Graveling Won't Get You Anywhere

Everyone has their own preferred method of relieving stress after a long hard day of work. Some people go for a jog while others pop open a beer.

Me? ....I like to rake the driveway.

I know, I know, that doesn't sound remotely interesting to anyone. It doesn't even seem interesting to me when I talk about it. You see, we were blessed with one of the World's Longest Driveways. The first 100 feet or so are asphalt (hate it) and shared with the vacant house next door. The last 100 feet are gravel (hate that too). The gravel wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so damn large, sharp, and nearly white (like that albino guy in The Da Vinci Code).

One day after a 14 hours of staring at a computer screen full of numbers (a typical day on the job), I decided that it was time to get rid of the gravel....the hard way. I raked the driveway for about 45 minutes and managed to clear about 3 wheelbarrows full of gravel. Strangely enough, it was relaxing to me. I felt a great sense of accomplishment.

Sadly, it rained pretty hard that night, which exposed even more gravel buried beneath the section that I had just raked.

Now I rake about once every other day. You know, I'm not exactly sure what I plan to do once I finish. I'd think about that, but it would probably stress me out too much.

Then I'd have to come up with something else to relieve that stress...like tearing off aluminum siding.

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I totally get you. I stare at a computer and deal with people all-day-long. Nothing is more theraputic than manual labor to me - with no talking.

Katz said...

I'm with you; I pull the weeds from our flower beds (which you can clearly see are in bloom now.)

I could use the gravel for my backyard as paths for the doggies...

courtney walsh said...

Brian Mack.

You made my whole day commenting on my blog. Where've you been?? What've you been doing??

I totally understand this. Sometimes being somewhere quiet with a menial task to accomplish is just what I need. My kids never stop talking, so a little peace is usually pretty valuable! :)

I can't believe you're online! My gosh! We need to catch up!!

Robyn said...

Great blog! After staring at computer code all day long, I've been spending evenings plastering my walls, listening to Patsy Cline on the iPod, and of course, singing along at the top of my lungs. You should really add some classic country to your relaxation/raking routine. It could very well enhance the experience. Or, at the least, annoy the !@#$ outta your neighbors.

B said...

First time poster, somewhat long time reader.

I also grew up on a gravel driveway, and from experience I can say that it’s lots of fun falling of your bike onto it... Anyway, I read this article from an environmental blog that I’m taking note of for my personal future, and you may like to consider if you want to pave said gravel area...

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/07/porous_pavingop.php

I'm a bit of a greenie, so excuse any unwanted linkage...