Thursday, July 27, 2006

Contest: Name that Spider

The lovely wife happened upon this fearsome 8-legged creature in our backyard the other day. He's hanging out on the inside wall of a cinder block.

The first person to identify it along with providing photographic proof of your claim will win an actual brick from our house.



Just think, you'll be the proud owner of a Stickley brick. Okay, so Stickley didn't actually make the brick but its a brick from a Stickley house. What a coversation piece! What a fantastic paperweight!

Your brick will arrive with a certificate of authenticity which pretty much equates to a photo of me in my crawl space hand selecting your brick.

Good luck and play fair. Post your answers to the comments section with a link to a photo of your guess.

UPDATE: Here's an enhanced photo that shows his markings in a little more detail.

9 comments:

orc said...

It looks like it's a fairly big nursery web spider. (I was originally thinking a funnel web spider, but the pictures I've seen of them show that they have fashionable black stockings on the lower parts of their legs, and the nursery web spiders don't.)


Spiders are gorgeous house vermin. I try to take as many pictures of them as I can every year.

Gary said...

That is the first photograph ever taken of a live 7 legged mambo jamba spider. They are very rare and elusive and have only been found squished on the underside of bricks sent in the mail. One bite and you go into a frenzy of dancing, running and wailing for 10 straight hours followed by a week of home improvement progress without any sleep.
You are considered very lucky if you see one in your bed. Unlucky if you don't!

Bonk at Home said...

Looks like a Wolf Spider to me, but they are very simular to nursery ones. Like Orc said, their legs help ID them.

http://www.biokids.umich.edu/resources/phil_myers/araneae/spider5471.jpg/medium.jpg

Brian said...

Looks like we've got a vote for Wolf Spider and one for a Nursery Spider. Its hard to tell from this photo but it does have bands around its legs. I'll upload an enhanced version of the photo

orc said...

I missed the request for pictures of the spider: Here's a page from OSU that shows a nursery web spider (about halfway down the page.)

Bonk at Home said...

I grabbed a picture from U.M. and you got one from OSU. Sounds like a battle. The Eyes would have it, if we could see them. Where's a good Arachnologist when you need one?

Brian said...

I'm torn. I'm a Michigan fan but was born and raised in Ohio. Honestly, the OSU picture looks more like what we have but in my own research its seems there are variations of each. Just to help narrow down the habitat we're talking about here....this is in a wooded area and not near a water source. Size wise, this thing was definitely a couple inches long. I'm surprised my wife even got that close to it.

Bonk at Home said...

The pattern of the top tells me Nursery. The coloring on the legs tells me Wolf. Do you have an extra brick?

Brian said...

Good call. Maybe it is a new species with only 7 legs. We'll just call it a 7-legged Nursery Wolf Spider and you both get bricks. Bonk and Orc, Send me your mailing info on via the Email Us link on the front page and I'll get moving on the bricks.