Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Speedheater Infrared Paint Remover....Does it Work? Part 1

We got an unexpected Christmas present this year that I'm looking forward to testing out now that the weather is nice.

Okay, well I guess it wasn't completely unexpected. I put it on our wish list but I didn't actually expect to get it.



The Speedheater Infrared Paint Remover claims to remove paint safely and easily using low infrared heat.

I tested it out in the basement on a set of shelves we've been stripping for...oh like 4 years. It seemed to work but I think it takes some getting used to. It was the middle of December and I was stinking up the house so I decided I'd wait until Spring. I'm curious as to how much paint it actually takes off versus chemical strippers.

The wife and I are pretty meticulous when it comes to stripping our woodwork. Typically we use chemical stripper but that stuff isn't cheap and it isn't exactly good for anyone to touch, breathe, eat, look at, talk about....etc.

My thought is while this might not negate the need for chemical strippers, it certainly might help us minimize the use of it. So I guess I'm setting low expectations.

We've got a few things on our porch to strip over the next month or so....I think I'll give it a try.

Has anyone used it? What are your thoughts?


And yes Carmen, you may borrow it.

----------------
Now playing: The Gutter Twins - Bete Noire

8 comments:

carmen said...

how did you know i was going to ask? oh, yeah. it is probably because i ask you every time i see you.

Anonymous said...

So how's this working out fr ya... I am trying to talk myself into a used one on e-bay... (Still expensive).

www.uhohbungalow.com (not very good at updating the blog...)

M

Hussey said...

Well......... I wish i could be also there to take surprises especially at Christmas. As I really love surprise more then that a Christmas eve.

Jorrold said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Joannah

http://linuxmemory.net

artemis said...

Hey, saw this post from last year and wondered how you're liking the speedheater at this point---we're contemplating springing for one of these to strip the woodwork in our house, but want to be sure it's worth it. (Our woodwork has a layer of shellac underneath so in theory it can all be flaked off by hand with a scraper and a lot of patience, but obviously that's not exactly fun....hoping that might make it a good candidate for this thing, though!)

Anonymous said...

Check out http://www.oceanmanorhouse.com/?page=paintremover for a DIY option. Nice instructions and comments from others are on the site.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Olde Windows said...

For an alternative to dry heat and smoke check out stream stripping at http://:www.oldewindowrestorer.com